Newel Law Firm assists clients with residential and commercial real estate related matters. Some of the firm’s services include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Drafting and reviewing residential and commercial purchase agreements, contracts for deed, leases, property management agreements and other documents involved in the sale or leasing of residential and commercial properties
- Cancellation of purchase agreements and contracts for deed
- Preparing documents and providing advice related to the Foreign Investment in Real Property Tax Act (FIRPTA) to assist sellers, buyers, real estate brokerages, title companies and property management companies with real estate sales, contracts for deed and property management activities
- Handling Torrens initial registration proceedings and proceedings subsequent
- Representation and advice related to landlord and tenant matters
Real Estate Brokerage Services
Newel Law Firm provides legal advice and representation for real estate brokers and agents in a wide variety of areas, including:
- General advising related to:
- Real estate brokerage law (Minn. Stat. Chapter 82)
- Minnesota Association of REALTORS® real estate forms
- REALTOR® Code of Ethics
- Best practices and risk-management
- Compliance with federal and state laws and other regulations, including the Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act (RESPA)
- Unclaimed property requirements and reporting procedures
- Representation related to:
- Minnesota Association of REALTORS® ethics complaints
- Minnesota Association of REALTORS® commission dispute arbitrations
- NCDS residential real estate arbitrations
- Department of Commerce matters
- Minnesota Attorney General’s Office complaints
- Resolving consumer complaints and other disputes (pre-litigation negotiations)
- Responding to subpoenas and other requests for information
- Attendance at depositions (when not a party to the litigation)
- Drafting of documents related to brokerage operations and activities, which includes but is not limited to:
- Independent contractor agreements
- Property management agreements
- Cancellation of listing contracts and buyer representation contracts
- Commission modification agreements
- Settlement agreements and other documents related to the resolution of complaints or disputes involving individuals or entities, such as buyers, sellers, or other real estate brokerages or agents
Licensing and Regulatory
Newel Law Firm assists individuals and businesses located throughout the State of Minnesota with licensing-related matters and provides representation in relation to regulatory investigations or requests for information. These individuals and companies include real estate brokers and agents, title companies, closers, mortgage loan originators, appraisers, insurance agents, contractors, property management companies and notaries. Newel Law Firm also provides businesses with legal advice and assistance in relation to their unclaimed property reporting obligations.
Consulting Services, Trainings and Presentations and Expert Witness Services
Newel Law Firm provides consulting services and conducts trainings and presentations on a wide variety of topics involving compliance, best practices and risk-management for real estate brokerages, real estate brokers and agents, title companies, closers and property management companies. These services can be customized to fit your specific interests or needs. The firm’s attorney, Deb Newel, is also able to serve as an expert witness in litigation, arbitrations or other proceedings involving real estate brokers and agents, title companies and closers.
Newel Law Firm assists individuals with their estate planning needs and helps each client devise a plan that best fits the client’s specific needs and desires. Legal services in this area includes drafting wills, trusts, powers of attorney and health care directives. It also includes advice about beneficiary designations so that clients can carry out their plan as intended.
Litigation and Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR)
Newel Law Firm recognizes that litigation can be both time consuming and costly. For this reason, the firm strives to assist clients in proactively preventing disputes or helping resolve them before they result in a lawsuit. Unfortunately, litigation is not always something that can be avoided.
Newel Law Firm has extensive experience litigating cases and representing parties involved in alternative dispute resolution processes, which has included:
- State district court cases
- Conciliation (“small claims”) court matters
- Arbitration proceedings involving residential real estate transactions and commission disputes between real estate brokers
The firm’s degree of involvement in conciliation court matters varies based on an individual’s or company’s desires and financial considerations. Newel Law Firm can assist with drafting and filing the conciliation court Statement of Claim, and the individual or business then handle the appearance at the hearing. Alternatively, Newel Law Firm can handle the entire process, including attending the hearing. Another option is for the firm to provide advice and guidance about how to handle a conciliation court matter so that an individual or business can subsequently carry out the entire process on their own.
Newel Law Firm also assists individuals and businesses with responding to subpoenas and other requests for information and providing them with representation at depositions if they are subpoenaed to provide testimony as witness in a lawsuit.
Communities That Newel Law Firm Serves
Newel Law Firm proudly serves clients throughout the seven-county metro area of Anoka County, Carver County, Dakota County, Hennepin County, Ramsey County, Scott County and Washington County, including the communities of Anoka, Apple Valley, Bloomington, Burnsville, Chanhassen, Chaska, Eden Prairie, Edina, Hopkins, Minneapolis, Minnetonka, Richfield, St. Louis Park, St. Paul, Shakopee and Stillwater, as well as Benton County, Crow Wing County, Olmsted, St. Louis County, Sherburne County, Stearns County and Wright County.
Newel Law Firm also serves clients, throughout the entire State of Minnesota, that own companies or work within the real estate and title industries, including those within the counties of Aitkin County, Becker County, Beltrami County, Blue Earth County, Cass County, Chisago County, Dodge County, Douglas County, Faribault County, Freeborn County, Goodhue County, Hubbard County, Isanti County, Itasca County, Kanabec County, Kandiyohi County, Le Sueur County, Lyon County, McLeod County, Meeker County, Mille Lacs County, Morrison County, Mower County, Nicollet County, Otter Tail County, Pine County, Pope County, Redwood County, Renville County, Rice County, Steele County, and Winona County.